Monday, August 9, 2010

Zombies, GaGa and Recipes...Oh My...


Its 4:30am!
That's right friends I CANT SLEEP!
Which means around 3 this afternoon I will be a walking Zombie!
I dont know what it is but I can never sleep on Sunday nights!
I always think it is because I have a million things on my mind and I just cant ever go to sleep but if I do I always get up in the middle of the night.... Its a BUMMER! I will tell you its not a good way to start the week!

Did you have a good weekend?
Mine was low key and busy but that is how I like it.
I was motivated last week and keep everything clean and organized and I did a little cleaning each night and let me tell you it was NICE  to not have any of that on the weekend to do. I will definitely be trying to keep that cleaning schedule.

I also cooked for the week which is also a good time saver during the week! There is nothing worse than being at work all day them coming home have to cook and then you are left with a disaster of a kitchen to clean up. I usually cook 3 different things on Sundays and I just rotate them from lunch to dinner. I will admit by Friday I AM OVER IT but it keeps me from having to cook during the week, keeps me from being lazy and picking something up on my way home, saves money and it a lot healthier!

This week I made...

Ingredients:
1 bag (3-1/2 ounces) boil-in-bag brown rice
1 cup salsa
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon lime juice
6 soft taco-size flour tortillas
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
Prepare rice according to package directions, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a medium-size bowl. Stir in salsa and cilantro; set aside. In a small bowl, gently stir together avocado pieces with lime juice; set aside.

Place tortillas on work surface and sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese in center of each, from left to right. Top cheese with a heaping 1/4 cup black beans. Place a heaping 1/3 cup rice mixture over beans then divide avocado pieces among tortillas. Fold up like an envelope; repeat with remaining tortillas.

 
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat top and bottom of burritos with nonstick cooking spray. Place 3 burritos in skillet, seam-side down; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Turn burritos over and cook another 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining burritos, reducing heat if they get too browned.


Ingredients:
1 pound Ground Chuck Or Ground Beef (I used Ground Turkey)
½ cups Panko Or Other Bread Crumbs
1 clove Garlic, Minced
½ teaspoons Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
½ cups Milk
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
½ whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 jar (large) Marinara Sauce
12 whole Dinner Rolls (or Slider Rolls)
4 slices Provolone Cheese, Cut Into Four Wedges Each

Preparation Instructions:
Mix meat with bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and milk. Knead together with hands. Roll into heaping tablespoon-sized rolls.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for one minute. Add meatballs between the onions and brown for one minute. (You might have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your skillet.)

Pour in jar of marinara; shake pan gently to mix. Put on lid and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

When ready to serve, cut each dinner roll in half. Place a wedge of Provolone on the top and bottom of each roll. Spoon a meatball with the sauce onto the bottom bun; top with the top bun.

Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Casserole
this is WW and  its 4 pts.
Ingredients:
1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 cup(s) canned yellow corn, drained, or frozen, thawed corn kernels
1 Tbsp canned green chili peppers, chopped, mild or hot
15 oz canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup(s) cooked brown rice, fresh or day old
3/4 cup(s) shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
3/4 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp scallion(s), chopped (dark green part only)
2 Tbsp shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 2-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine corn, chilies, beans, rice, 3/4 cup of cheese, sour cream, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir in scallions.

Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and casserole is slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes to firm up before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Well there you have it for my 4am post!
I am now fighting the urge to go back to sleep NOW so that I can get up and head to the gym!
The positive sign I will sleep good tonight....
The negative its a LONG time till I can go to bed tonight.
enter your own BIG SIGH here.....

I also leave you on the Monday morning with a picture of the Lady Gaga just because I can and just because she frightens me a little!



9 comments:

Ashley said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

All of the recipes you posted sound delicious. I'm printing this out for future meals.

Lady Gaga is definitely special...I might crop her out of the printed page. :)

Steph S. said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Have a great week and enjoy your delicious food!!!!

Katie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You meals look delicious!
I also have a hard time sleeping on Sundays. But for me, I think it's because I stay up too late over the weekend and then I have to go to bed so early that my body doesn't know whats going on. :/

Kerr said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

that food looks great. I am starving now!

Lindsay said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

All those recipes look amazing! :)

bailey said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

all of the food looks delicious! i need to try some of those recipes. and lady gaga kind of scares me too. ha! i love her songs, but when i see pictures of her i get a little freaked out.

Dana said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That burrito looks awesome!! Yum!!

*New follower

Sarah Wyland said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those burritos look delish! That's a pretty smart idea too, cooking in advance... I like it!

Lady Gaga scares me. Love her music, but if she walked into the same room as me, I'd probably hide under the nearest piece of furniture, if for no other reason than to avoid being poked by whatever spikes she was wearing that day.

Fashion Meets Food said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What absolutely fabulous recipes! I must try them out, and love gaga!

xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...