Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Content..

I know I am posting to post back to back but I wrote this early this morning and wanted to share!

Last night in my state of insomnia (I am tired I really am but I just cant sleep) I started thinking about life and how lucky I am to have to have what I have. These thoughts came about from reading My Charming Kids blog before going to bed. MckMama is in Africa right now and I cant help look at her pictures and see these people who have nothing smiling and are genuine. 



I have a bad habit of wanting this or that and not being content with what I already have. 
I take for granted the life that I have built for myself.
My goal is to try and be content...
Just live life and not worry about the things that I cant change and be content with what I have and to be proud of the life I have made.

I feel like we live in a world that more is better and that we have to "keep up with the Joneses".
I dont want to look back on my life one day and wish that I would have done things differently. 
I dont want to look back and wish that I wasnt so busy. 
I dont want to look back and wish that I made more time for my friends. 
I dont want to look back and wish that I didnt live for the paycheck...
I dont need the latest greatest gadget....
I dont need the Louis Vuitton bag (but I can dream)....
I dont need the new BMW.....
I dont need the big TV.....
We get one shot at this Life thing and I dont want to blow it!

Can you imagine if you took one of those ladies from Africa and put her in your house with the big TV, the groceries, the abundance of clothing and shoes, toilet paper, running water, soap and lotions(in my case she would think I own a lotion store),  a bed with blankets, the car, the phones, the internet....
It would be more than they could take in but we NEED these things.
Now turn it around- take me and drop me off in their homes.
I wouldn't make it an hour without running water lets be honest 20 minutes tops and I would be complaining! 

I have strong opinions about about the United States helping other countries, hand outs and all that good stuff- trust me you do not want me to get into all that. 
BUT...
I think I can learn a lesson from the way that some of these people who have nothing  live.
They live with Nothing and they take nothing for granted
I live with everything at my fingertips but take a lot of things for granted. 
Is this just me?
I let life take over, I get wrapped up in things and routines and I let the precious things slide by.
I talked to my friend Leslie last night and I got a sick feeling because I couldnt even remember the last time I saw or even talked to her- how sad is that! 

I am really just ranting but all these thoughts just make me thankful for what I have and it forces me to realize I need to be content. Life is not things but about people and the relationships we have, the love that we have, the families that God has blessed us with.
Dont get me wrong I am beyond thankful for my life but I need to stop wanting, complaining, worrying, cleaning long enough to enjoy it! 

ANOTHER reason I love to blog is that I can share with you my thoughts and to hear what you have to say! 
I am thankful today for all of you guys! 

All of the pictures are from MckMama's blog! 

11 comments:

Caitrin said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a wonderful post! I have a co worker that just came back from a mission trip to Honduras and her pictures had me thinking the same thing! I have requested that our office (I work in a dental office) take a trip next year all together to help people in other countries with dentistry!

Shelli Ryan said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am so guilty of the "wants" too. I think our society is so corrupted in this way. Other countries who don't have much probably still feel blessed because of what they do have. I wish America was more like that. I get mad at myself sometimes when I think about buying a bigger house or going on our next vacation. Count your blessings!

Marianne said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is my favorite post of yours. I'm happy you had such an eye-opening experience just from reading another bloggers post.

Jacqueline said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You left me a comment on my blog so ofcourse I had to check our your blog. AND I LOVE IT! I'm your newest follower! :)

jaxandmarbles.blogspot.com

Amanda Money said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well said! I read Mckmama's blog too.
I'm following you now :-)

Tiffany said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Enjoyed visiting your blog, thanks for visiting June Makes Six.

Tiffany

AMY said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love those little precious faces of the kids. And the adults beautiful.

Thanks for the post! Made me think again about all I have and how appreciative I should be.

Sherry said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This was a very nice post. I found it on facebook and shared it as well. :)

Brooke Anna @ Mommy Does... said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My mom work for an entire year in Angola, Congo, and Namibia. She works for Oceenearing International and at the time was on The Preformer. There were so many times they would have frozen leftovers in ziplock bags, and extra cakes, pastries, cookies, meats, and breads leftover from the four meals each day.
So, while in Congo and Angola, they would "drop" the food from the ships deck since they were allowed to step off the boat w/ out a chaperone. She said you could see the people fighting over the food then dispersing to rush somewhere with the bags. It was far better to "drop" them what was extra, since they needed it more. Thanks for sharing and leaving a comment at Mommy Does... have a great day.

Jodie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the commenting and stopping by my blog. I am new to the blogging world. Thanks for stopping by!! I now have a new blog to follow... you!! I enjoyed this post... so great!! Have a wonderful day!

Cait said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

just came across your blog :) ohmygosh its so cute! great post girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...